Job Title: Service Dog Trainer Independent Contractor
Job Type: Contractual
Location: Within the United States
We are looking for a skilled and experienced Service Dog Trainer to work as an independent contractor to train and provide Service Dogs to individuals with disabilities. The Service Dog Trainer will be responsible for assessing the needs of the clients, training and socializing dogs, providing training and follow-up sessions, and ensuring that the dogs meet the required standards for Service Dogs. The trainer must be able to work with client-owned dogs as well as assisting the client in finding a dog that matches their needs and have the temperament to be trained.
- Assess clients’ needs and match them with appropriate Service Dogs or determine if the client’s own dog can be trained to be a service dog
- Train and socialize dogs to meet the clients’ needs and to meet the standards for Service Dogs
- Provide training and follow-up sessions to clients to ensure the dogs are performing as needed
- Ensure all dogs are trained in obedience, public access, and task training
- Maintain accurate records of client progress and dog training
- Participate in public education and outreach events as needed
- Work collaboratively with the Service Dog organization to ensure the delivery of high-quality Service Dogs
- Maintain ethical and professional standards consistent with industry best practices
- Proven experience in training dogs or Service Dogs
- Certification or equivalent training in dog training or animal behavior
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to assess clients’ needs and match them with appropriate Service Dogs or determine if the client’s own dog can be trained to be a Service Dog
- Ability to train and socialize dogs to meet the clients’ needs and to meet the standards for Service Dogs
- Knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and state laws related to Service Dogs
- Ability to maintain accurate records of client progress and dog training
- Ability to work collaboratively with a Service Dog organization
This is an independent contractor position and the Service Dog Trainer will work on a project basis. The working hours and locations may vary depending on the client’s needs. The trainer will need to work with dogs, which can be physically demanding, and also interact with clients with disabilities.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and a cover letter outlining your experience and qualifications in training service dogs, including any experience working with client-owned dogs.