PTSD, TBI, MEDICAL ALERT, PSYCHIATRIC
Meet Special Sweetie!!
Sweetie is a spayed, 1.5 year-old, 45 lbs., Boxer mix.
Sweetie is what we call her because that is what she is; a little sweetie! Sweetie loves to snuggle and be close to her “person”, making her the perfect companion for a handler with any psychiatric issues. It also enables her to alert to medical conditions, because she will get to know you so well!
Sweetie has the most adorable little face and will just gaze right into your eyes. She knows “sit”, “down”, “watch me”, “leave it”, “comes” when she is called, is house trained, and does well with non-aggressive dogs.
She gets excited when she first meets people who visit the rescue, as she just loves everyone! She soon calms down and begins to focus on what you want from her, especially if you have a treat!
Sweetie would be suited for a handler older than 7 years of age (regardless of gender), who’s age appropriate activity level is equal to walking at a good speed for at least 1/2 hour twice a day, being your jogging partner, running free in a fenced-in backyard, and spending a good part of the day doing Service Dog – related physical activity.
Sweetie’s rescue requires an application process and a signed training contract with Service Dog Express.
Quick assessment of Sweetie:
- Is in good health
- Is willing to ‘snuggle’ and be held close
- Willing to be petted and touched on all parts of its body, including back legs and on the face without incident
- Makes good eye contact and holds contact for 10 seconds or more
- Seems to be genuinely interested its “person” and seeks attention
- Responds to praise and petting
- Allows hand in its mouth without incident
- Treat motivated for training
- When walking, is more interested on its “person” than on other distractions (other people, dogs) – Responds to ‘leave it’
- Not easily frightened (a response to a loud noise is to be expected, but the dog should not show excessive fear)
- Is friendly, calm, and generally “laid back” around all ages of children and male and female adults
- Exhibits no excessive barking (training can correct this behavior)
- Shows absolutely NO signs of aggression toward other dogs or people
- Absolutely no history of aggression
- Is microchipped
- Up to date on vaccinations
- On monthly preventives
- Unknown relations with cats
We do not transport dogs as there are numerous dogs across the country that need a forever home and have the potential to be a Service Dog. Our dogs have been assessed as potential Service Dogs but have not been trained yet. That training occurs when paired with their handler. This enhances the bond between dog and owner.